Friday, February 4, 2011

Binding's Finished! Scrappy Patchy Heart Resumed!



Finished sewing the binding around the Horse Quilt this morning. All the threads are trimmed, knots secured and little stray strings removed. It's too cold and rainy to go to the post office today so the Horse Quilt will be on its way to Oregon come Monday.

Now to get back to the Scrappy Patchy Heart. My sister, Barbara, asked me to piece a queen size top for her to hand quilt so her son and daughter will have something to fight over after she's gone. Just kidding! She is a hand quilter where I prefer to take advantage of any and all new technology when it comes to sewing. We decided on the Scrappy Patchy Heart block because, together, we had a ton of scraps that needed to be put to good use. I did order the strips for the ribbons from Connecting Threads.
Here's her top-in-progress as I'm playing with the layout to keep from having too similar blocks next to each other.

The block pattern came from a friend on one of my quilting internet groups. She had nice graphics and well-written cutting and sewing instructions for one block but I decided to re-create the block in Electric Quilt 7 so I could lay out the whole quilt and know just how much fabric I would need for the backgrounds, ribbons and setting triangles.
Below is a close-up of the Scrappy Patchy Heart block.

Now if I decided to make the hearts using matchy instead of scrappy fabrics, I'll know perzactly how much to buy. Since the patches are all 2.5" inches, this would be a great project for those rolls of coordinating fabrics. I think I feel a Connecting Threads order coming on!

No comments: